At lunch, Rebecca asked what she should get a gardener for Christmas… Here are a few suggestions in various price levels:
1) Felco Pruners (I’d recommend the original #2 pruner for right handers) (you can get these from A.M. Leonard, note that you have to know whether someone is right or left handed)… their prices are amongst the best. $37.99– these are the best pruners– I love them and use them constantly.
2) Felco lopper– same deal, not hand specific, either the #20 or #21 for $66 and $75, also from A.M. Leonard.
3) Foxgloves– for women, light gardening gloves. available at foxgloves website. $20
4) White Flower Farm gift certificate– These are great and you usually get a discount for the certificates if the purchase is over $50.
5)Gorgeous containers– Smith and Hawken have some (particularly the Guy Wolff ones). (price varies)
6) a subscription to Horticulture magazine. $19.95 for one year.
7) The American Horticultural Society’s A-Z index of garden plants. $64 This book weighs about a million pounds but is truly comprehensive, and handy as heck.
Obviously I’m open to other suggestions.